Sunday, March 16, 2008

MAKE IT COUNT

Wow, yet another rollercoaster of a game. But this time, the rollercoaster went up. And this time, that's where it stayed.

BOX SCORE

With 10 seconds left in regulation, I thought that there were 10 seconds left in my fifth and final season of MTU hockey as a student. With 5.5 seconds left and as I watched the goal slowly cross the goal line... ... ... I can't even finish that sentence. I don't even know what to say.

I think with this entry, I'm just going to tell it like it is.

After that first goal, I figured it would be the same old, same old story like most times we play UND... especially in the Ralph. The first goal was a complete disappointment. There's no question that Michael-Lee should have had that one. But feces happens sometimes.

Despite being down 1-0 early (as usual), Michigan Tech was dominating play. UND started to take over. This is yet another common occurrence with this Huskies team: no matter how good they're dominating, when they don't get results, the other team just starts taking over.

The Sioux took what was once ours, the first period, and made it theirs.

The second period was fairly even, but again, the Sioux were able to capitalize and the Huskies were not. UND's Brad Miller had one hell of a game. I'm not sure where that came from, as he rarely does anything on most nights.

Tech scored early in the third on a powerplay goal. It was a KKK goal... Kerr from Kinrade and Kattelus.

As the clock was winding down, I think reality was starting to set in. IF THEY DON'T WIN, THEY ARE DONE.

With less than two minutes to go, Tech was called for a penalty. This is the point where many teams wave the white flag and just bend over for the other team. However, following that penalty, from puck drop until the end of regulation, they played with the most determination I've seen from this team all season long. They immediately took control of the puck and played Keep Away with the Sioux. The Huskies took the puck down the ice. Michael-Lee Teslak raced to the bench so an extra Husky skater could take the ice. With about 10 seconds left, the puck was in the corner near the Sioux net. I fully expected the worse... no goal. However, what happened next is the reason why I am a hockey fan. Those miracles, those unlikely turn of events... Somehow, the puck made its way to the front of the Sioux net. It sat in the crease for what seemed like an eternity until assistant captain Tyler Shelast poked it past the goal line.

We were supposed to be 5.5 seconds from the end of our season. Six seniors were to be on the ice in their Husky jerseys for the last time. However, they weren't ready to be done.

The feelings felt when the tying goal happened are in no way describable. But like I said, things like that are a huge reason why I am a hockey fan--a Michigan Tech Hockey fan.

On a side note, I'd just like to call attention to a post in the SiouxSports forum by northfieldsioux22. CLICK HERE and check out post 172. Good job, dude. Way to jump the gun there. :)

In the overtime period, the Sioux get called for an early penalty. Tech once again takes control of the situation. It didn't take long for them to do what they needed to do. Shelast puts away his second of the game, along with the help of Kinrade and Rouleau.

This series is NOT over yet!

Congratulations to Shirtless Guy for getting to take his shirt off in yet another arena. And how that girl in the picture is smiling and not puking is beyond me...

Sunday night either marks the beginning or the end. If Michigan Tech can play with that determination and urgency, they may be able to join their band at the Final Five. Otherwise, they will sit back as their bands racks up more Final Five experience than they have. The choice is theirs.

I would like to thank the Sioux fans for their hospitality, as always; especially those who kept asking us during the game how it felt to be watching our last game of the season. To those people, I'd like to say: "AWESOME! Thanks." Sometimes, karma works like it's supposed to.

= = = = =

A SIDENOTE: To those Husky parents and Sioux fans whom I told that UAA won, I received false information via a text message. I was later texted that CSTV had lied and UAA was only up and did not win, sadly. I apologize to those of you who I "lied" to. I was upset to find out the truth too, believe me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sioux win!! 2-1...great effort by Tech, but the best team won on Sunday night. Go SIOUX!!!

Archie said...

Great effort by MTU this weekend. As I saw you crying on camera at Saturday's game, I felt better for you and your fans than feeling bad the Sioux lost. Ok, maybe that's a stretch:)I admire your passion for your team win or lose. Good luck in the future as I see you'll be moving on after this school year. Hopefully, you'll still follow your squad and keep the blog going. Good luck.

Go Sioux!

Archie