Sunday, December 09, 2007

The Commandments of Mitch's Misfits

As an experienced road tripper, I have witnessed and been through some things on the road at various hockey arenas. I've seen excellent displays of class by opposing fans and I've seen and experienced first hand quite the opposite. Also, being a hockey fan, I have heard many stories of classless acts done by various fan bases; things involving words that shouldn't be yelled out in a hockey arena, batteries, a cheerleader named Molly, inappropriate treatment of mascots, and angry fans throwing things at their own team.

As the president of Mitch's Misfits, Michigan Tech hockey's relatively new student section, I hope that visiting fans have only positive things to say about us upon departure of Houghton. I like to instill class, sportsmanship, and respect in Michigan Tech hockey fans. So here for you now, I'd like to present an idea that I thought of about two years ago and something that I would like implement this season. Ladies and gentleman, I give you the Commandments of the Misfits:

I. Thou shalt always stand, remove thy cap, and be RESPECTFUL during the Star Spangled Banner.
II. Thou shalt ALWAYS stand upon hearing the Michigan Tech Fight Song and clap along proudly.
III. Thou shalt always treat opposing fans with respect.
IV. Thou shalt not yell out obscenities.
V. Thou shalt never throw anything onto the ice, with exceptions of hats, and ONLY hats, for Husky hat tricks.
VI. Thou shalt arrive ON TIME to the game and never leave early, regardless of the score.
VII. Thou shalt continue to support the Huskies all season long, regardless of their record.
VIII. Thou shalt despise the Northern Michigan Wildcats with all one has and bask in every victory against them.
IX. Thou shalt always represent Mitch's Misfits, Huskies Hockey, and Michigan Tech with dignity, pride, and class.
X. Thou shalt be loud and supportive of the Michigan Tech Huskies at every game.

If every Misfit can put forth an effort to follow and live by these commandments at our own arena and all others, there is no doubt in my mind that it will make us the best that college hockey has to offer. I would also encourage all other hockey fans to strive to improve their sportsmanship as well. As always, the THB staff welcomes your comments and thoughts.

15 comments:

Boosh said...

We could sing the national anthem too.

Just a thought

MeanEgirl said...

That's always good... I'm not sure we should "require" it though. I always sing it. When it comes to that, I think the best that we can do is encourage people to sing it.

Anonymous said...

But the real question, do you yell "Huskies" at the end of the national anthem (over the poor singers "brave")? It drives me CRAZY, but I know a lot of fans do it!! If you don't, or can get everyone to stop, THAT will really set you apart! :)

FadeToBlack&Gold said...

Good post MEg. As far as yelling 'Huskies' over 'brave' during the anthem - I have to say that I do not like it when fans of any team insert their mascot in place of 'brave'. They certainly have the right to do it, but that doesn't make it any less annoying. Unfortunately, it seems like many college hockey fans have now adopted it regardless of the team they cheer for, and I doubt that the practice will cease any time soon.

DC said...

Sweet. This leaves the title of Biggest Unsportmanlike Bitch WIDE OPEN for yours truly!

MeanEgirl said...

wintwins - NO. We do NOT yell out home of the "HUSKIES". There was one game earlier this season where ONE lone person did this... someone in the back of my section. Still to this day, I don't know who it was, and for their sake, I hope it stays this way. I almost went ballistic.

In Commandment I, the word "RESPECTFUL" (in all caps, even!) encompasses NOT doing that retarded thing where you yell out your mascot in the end.

Anonymous said...

I agree wholeheartedly! Good for your Husky fans! I HATE it when people do it!! :) You get my vote for classiest student section for that fact alone... Even though I've never seen your student section! Maybe one day!

THE UNH MEN'S HOCKEY BLOGGER GUY said...

Hey E,

You probably already know but if you visit theAHL.com you'll see Mr. MeanEgirl was the number two star last night. ;-)

Love your work! Keep it up!

Go Tech!

Go 'Cats!

Eric J. Burton said...

Casey Borer, ALB
Nets two goals and an assist as River Rats defeat Sound Tigers

Anonymous said...

How about last night, word on the street is that the Misfits chanted "fuck him up" in the "fight" ensuing the Brian Stewart "incident"??? Not very good sportsmanship. You live in the UP, a place known for hockey and large families(Read: children) that attend hockey games. If this is your idea of good sportsmanship... make it a habit to attend all games that take place in Lanse. Their the fans our known to be known to be rowdy and obnoxious... consumption of alcohol during high school games is typical... there no-one will mind if you choose to act like imbeciles!! Also you will miss nothing because you came to see a fight and Lanse is the dirtiest bunch of hacks in the UP... have fun guys(and girls)!!!

Boosh said...

Your tears of unfathomable pain and sadness taste so delicious.

Get over it, its college. I'm pretty sure the 200 or so Misfits there represented themselves in excellent fashion all game long, especially better than the NMU fans who concentrate more on personal attacks toward us than actually cheering for their team.

Also, if you're bitter about your goalie being a flopping little whiny baby, I'm sure that'll be discussed again tonight. Maybe if you could hire an officials who know how to control a hockey game, things wouldn't have gotten so out of hand.

Go Huskies

MeanEgirl said...

"up hockey !!!" ... I was disgusted as well by that chant. The Misfits will be receiving an email about that. Although, this rivalry as you know is a heated one. Both teams will get very emotional. Sometimes, people let their emotions get the best of them--both fans and players. I do not condone these particular actions of the Misfits. However, the NMU are not all righteous angels either.

Btw, I don't give a flying fark about the games in L'Anse or the people who attend them.

Hopefully the Misfits will be able to control their mouths a little more tonight. It was all just fine until the F- him up chant last night.... which was in the last :30 or so of the game.

Anonymous said...

For your information I am not... a Northern fan and hate them with a passion. Saying that the misfits acted better than the NMU fans means nothing to me... it is the conduct of our fellow MTU fans that I am concerned with. I am over it completely... just thought I'd say something here since I "thought" that this was an online area where the leaders of the MTU student section frequented. I just thought that I'd say something since I saw the utube clip that portrays Tech as unsportsmanlike.

Go Huskies!!

Boosh said...

While I do agree with the assessments on the chant that took place, it annoys the hell out of me how one incident ruins everything. We're the 'classiest' bunch of fans (we need to find a better word that that) by a mile regardless, and things are bound to get out of hand once in a while. I'll take a slap on the wrist, but trying to police everything that comes out of our mouths will turn us into a bunch of puckheads who sit on our hands all game long. It isn't easy to be fired up more and more for 65 minutes, then have a bunch of whiny brats start flailing and not have some negative emotion surface. Its a consequence of the sport, and if any children have been scarred for life, I'll take the blame. I've seen parents using said language in front of their kids at hockey games, and the world is a mighty screwed up place, so I won't lose any sleep. Hopefully things won't get too out of hand tonight

MeanEgirl said...

Boosh, well said. As much as I try to make the Misfits the perfect, it just cannot happen.

On a brighter note, I was extremely pleased with all of the energy and noise last night. We totally dominated that atmosphere. :)