Monday, November 17, 2008

UMN Recap; Looking Ahead to MSUM at Home

One point out of the weekend. Considering that we got that one point from the now #1 Gophers, it isn't such a bad deal. We were able to salvage a tie on Saturday and ALMOST won it at the last second. Special thanks to Jay Barriball for missing two WIDE OPEN nets. More thanks to Robby Nolan for playing a great game--a great series--this weekend. Robby made some amazing saves that I haven't seen out of him in like two years. He deserves much kudos for the great job he did this past weekend.
Sunday's game... what a bummer that was. Michigan Tech was outplaying Minnesota in every way. It took two stupid penalties to turn the game around in only an instant. Despite the game being turned around so quickly, the Huskies kept at it. They had SO MANY great opportunities, but Kangas stood tall. In the end, Tech got 38 shots through to Kangas, but Kangas chose that day to have his first career shut out. That jerk.
Tech outplayed the Gophers on Sunday and the Gophers are lucky to have gotten their two points. I am SO PROUD of my team for all of their effort and heart put out there this weekend. We didn't get the results, but I can't be TOO upset with how great they played.
My thoughts on my team--they have the talent, they just need a little more luck to go with that. OH! And how about Johnny Kivisto's CLANKING of the crossbar? Oh man... that was so close. If the net was only a half inch taller, that would've been a goal. So yes, more luck and the ability to finish.
So, this weekend we have the Mavericks at home. Last season, the Mavericks were the only team that Michigan Tech swept at home. Can we repeat the sweep this season? With Zacharias in goal for the Mavs, it's a tall order. Having seen Zacharias play the Sioux earlier this season, he's one tough cookie. And as for the rest of the team, I've only seen them play one game this season, but from what I have seen, their passing is nice... much better than Tech's. This might prove to be a pain this weekend.
And lastly, I just have a few things to say to the players -
1) WIN. I hate driving through the state of Wisconsin all the way to Michigan Tech to see my team lose to a bunch of pansies in purple.... or ANYONE for that matter.
2) STOP taking STUPID penalties! Play SMART! We no longer have Chris Conner playing on our team, so typically good things do not come from us being a man or two short.
...Um, I guess that's all I have for now. I thought I had more, but apparently not.
(Btw, Blogger is being EXTREMELY stupid and not registering my enters... so I made the first couple of words of each paragraphs a different color. Blogger sucks.)

3 comments:

Boosh said...

Blogger sucks because you have to format all your entries goofy.

And you really should get over Wisconsin sometime soon, the only thing wrong here is your perception of it.

FadeToBlack&Gold said...

That's the second great play I've noticed from Kivisto this season, I just wish he could've scored on that shot. He made two Goofer defenders look like road cones to get the opportunity.

He has come a long way from being a walk-on freshman with few expectations, that's for sure.

Eric J. Burton said...

Go Real Huskies beat the dirty Mavericks. :)